Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Can you suggest an inexpensive graphic card?

I have a dell 4500 that is about 4 yrs old. Its a Pent 4, 2ghz with 40 gb hd and 256 DDRam. I thought I had a graphics card but never used the computer to play games with. Well I bought Civilization IV and want to play it. I have plenty of memory and speed but for some reason it says I don't have a graphics card. I do have a sound card but not graphics. I have reinstalled windows a few times...maybe the graphics card wasn't reinstalled?



Regardless, I want to buy a graphics card SOLELY for this game. I don't want to spend $300 but maybe $50-$75...could you suggest one? I need to be able to buy it at best buy or circuit city. Again, I am not a gamer, but want to be able to play this game. If a 25$ card would work...even better! I barely use the computer, and always use a laptop but the laptop isnt quick enough. The game requires a 128 MB Video Card w/ DirectX 8 support (pixel %26amp; vertex shaders).



PLease recomend a card to work...I may buy more RAM too.



Thank you!!!Can you suggest an inexpensive graphic card?
I think the Dimension 4500 has an AGP slot. According to the specs I read, it comes with a GeForce4 MX 420 graphics card with 64MB of DDR SDRAM. Which won't run Civ 4.



I have a similarly aged computer and I put in a 256 MB Nvidia Geforce 6200, which is about as fast a card as I would like to put in it. Cost me about $50 CND. It runs Civ 4 quite well, although I doubt spending more on a better card would improve performance much. If seriously playing Civ 4 is important to you, it might be time to consider saving for a new computer.



Really if you want to run Civ 4, you should consider putting at least 512 MB of RAM more into your system (if not up it to a gig).

No comments:

Post a Comment